Groups of hosting services
A hosting service implies keeping and/or sharing given web content on a web server hosted by a website hosting supplier. There are various forms of hosting services utilized for various goals, so let's have a look at them. Thus, you can decide what you want, based on whether you desire to launch a site, e-mails, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by some vendors, which enables you to share large files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its sole goal is to share files, since it does not offer website uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either get an accidentally created download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a list of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to see .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-charge file storage packages often include advertisements by the download links, while a timer obliges you to await a particular stretch of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you buy a paid file storage package, there are no restrictions as to how many files you can upload/download straight away, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
At present, with the help of the cPanel hosting suppliers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modern "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly false explanation of the real definition of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting system would split the load between separate groups of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving various webspace hosting services (email, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, site hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting solution is merely a kind of a disk space hosting solution, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: similar to file hosting; specific providers provide a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting type is suitable if you want to share an immense amount of pics with chums or acquaintances since the solution is typically free of charge. You will receive a randomly generated link for each image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the service cannot be utilized for websites.
- Email hosting: a service committed to handling your e-mail box accounts. Some companies provide hosting services for web pages, but do not supply an email solution. If you want to own an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to have a website, then the email hosting solution is what you want. You can open mail address accounts and manage them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The e-mail hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video clip, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of utilizing this approach instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video clip generates a certain amount of CPU load, so with a few videos and a few hundred website visitors, you may have difficulty with your web space hosting reserves. Embedding the video will allow you to operate as many videos as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you require if you wish to run a website. To a certain extent, it includes all of the abovementioned hosting varieties since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can keep databases and e-mail box accounts, upload video clips, etc. At 100WebSpace, for example, you can explore web hosting and dedicated server hosting solutions that permit you to have all of the abovementioned services in one single place. There may be limits depending on the kind of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web site hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the ordinary email/file/video/image hosting accounts that are meant for particular web content solely.